Step 1: Apply
Apply online at any time or in person at the West Monroe Police Department on Mondays - Fridays from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Applications can be downloaded and mailed to the West Monroe Police Department at 2301 N. 7th Street, West Monroe, La. 71291 or emailed to the Chief’s Office.
Step 2: Civil Service Test
The Office of State Examiner (OSE) offers competitive exams throughout the state. OSE can neither accept nor process applications. Applications must be submitted to the department where you wish to take an examination. The qualification requirements may differ among some jurisdictions, so you may wish to contact the jurisdiction where you want to have your score reported in addition to the jurisdiction where you plan to take the test.
Step 3: Show Your Strength
Applicants must be able to complete a physical agility test, which includes a 1.5-mile run, sit-ups and push-ups. Time requirements are based on age and gender.
Step 4: Show Your Character
The West Monroe Police Department will conduct a background check, including but not limited to: fingerprinting, drug testing and computerized voice stress analysis.
Step 5: Cleared for Hire
Applicants will be given a conditional offer of employment after the completion of a medical and psychological screening. Once cleared for hire, applicants will be offered a position within the Police Department until the next Academy class is scheduled. If applicants are currently P.O.S.T. certified, a date will be given for the start of their field training.
Step 6: Enter the Academy
Recruits will be required to attend an 18-week academy at the North Delta Training Academy, located at 268 Richard Fewell Road, West Monroe, La. 71292.
- Minimum 21 years of age.
- Must successfully pass a civil service examination.
- Must successfully pass a medical evaluation.
- High school graduate or possess a state approved G.E.D.
- Be licensed to drive and with a good driving record.
- In good physical and psychological condition to perform the essential functions of the job of Police Officer.
- Been convicted of, pled guilty or nolo contendere to any Felony.
- Been convicted of, pled guilty or nolo contendere to any Misdemeanor involving any crimes against person or sexual offenses.
- Been convicted of, pled guilty or nolo contendere to, any offenses involving violations of the civil rights of any person under the constitution or laws of the United States or any state or territory.
- Used marijuana within two years prior to application (within three years prior to application for P.O.S.T. certified applicants).
- Used any illegal drug other than marijuana within ten years prior to application.
- Sold, distributed, manufactured, or transported any illegal drug.
- Used any prescription drug or legally obtainable substance in a manner for which it was not intended within two years prior to application (within three years prior to application for P.O.S.T. applicants).
- Been dishonorably discharged from any military service.
- An unacceptable driving record within five years of application.
All applicants must be a United States citizens to apply for a position with the West Monroe Police Department.
The West Monroe Police Department does not have a residency requirement. Applicants do not have to live within the city limits of West Monroe to become an officer with the West Monroe Police Department.